This is a WONDERFUL BIKE! I have been using it for over 4 years (3 years near Salt Lake City, UT, and 1 year in San Antonio, TX) with almost zero problems. I purchased it as an alternative to my car and found that I could use the Double Tube for nearly everything I needed to do. Groceries? Yep. Trips to the Hardware Store? Yep. Commuting 6 miles to work? Not a problem. However, even with all of this praise, I would be remiss if I didn't state that it has some limitations, so here is my list of what I love and what I feel are the few limitations. (Notice that I don't list them as cons or disadvantages or problems - I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with the Double Tube, it is just a specific bicycle for a specific type of job)
- Durable...seriously this is a stout bicycle
- Great for hauling cargo, especially with the front rack added (I have strapped a milk crate to the front rack and have found that it is the most convenient way to carry most medium-sized to smaller items)
- Perfect riding position for staying comfortable while commuting, even while wearing business attire (I often cycle to work in a shirt and tie).
- Provides a great speed for moving about town. Although it's not for racing, I never felt as though I was going slow.
- The weight of this bicycle is a blessing for transporting stuff but makes it impractical for use in areas with hills. Slight hills are fine, but be prepared to develop leg muscle as a result. Large hills are simply out of the question.
- The kickstand for this model doesn't feel wide enough for certain tasks. There are definitely times when hauling groceries that it just doesn't feel stable when I stopped and stepped off the bicycle (I have always felt stable while riding, even with both the front and rear racks fully loaded). If I were a parent looking for a bicycle to haul children (I don't have children), I am not sure that I would trust this bicycle, using the stock kickstand, with supporting a child in a safety seat without an adult present to hold the bicycle. All this being said know that it's a great kickstand that is incredibly stable for 99% of the things that I do.
- Fixing a flat tire does take a little bit of work since taking the tire off is more difficult than other bicycles. That being said, I don't get too many flats.
If you want a stylish bicycle that can replace a car this is a great choice!
As far as the purchasing from J.C. Lind, I would not hesitate to do it again and I have recommended this store to a number of people. Jon is responsive, knowledgeable, and spoke right up when he realized that the rear rack I wanted was going to come with a few scratches. It didn't bother me as they were only cosmetic, but it says a lot that he was open and willing to work with me.